Ingredients for the choux pastry:
2 cups water
3/4 cup butter
2 1/4 cups strong all-purpose flour, sifted
1. Place water and butter into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and throw in the flour in one go and beat well until dough comes away from the edges of the pan.
3. Allow to cool a little and then using and electric whisk beat in the eggs two at a time until you have a smooth and shiny mixture as in the photo below.
5. Grease a cookie sheet and then sprinkle on a little water.
6. Pipe eclairs 2 inches long onto the cookie sheet as below.
7. Bake in an oven preheated to 375F for about 25 mins: until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before filling and icing.
8. For the filling you make a creme patissiere or simply whisk 300ml whipping cream with a little sugar. Spoon the whipped cream into the piping bag. Make a small slit in the side of each eclair and pipe in a little of the cream.