Friday, January 25, 2008

Never too early...

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

One question I notice mothers of small children, asking frequently is "When should I start teaching my child about Islam?" I say, it's never to early! Start from birth saying 'Bismillah' aloud when you begin to feed your child; say other phrases such as 'alhamdu Lillah' upon sneezing or completing a meal and 'assalaamu alaikum'; pray in the presence of your child and so on.

My youngest daughter is 14 months old and now she will even pause from breastfeeding to say 'dandada' (alhamdu Lillah) with me if I sneeze and she always says it when she sneezes. She makes ruku' in front of me at salah times and now seems to be practising the juloos (sitting) position, masha'Allah.

Children are little sponges and readily soak up and copy all our good habits but beware because the opposite is also true!

6 comments:

Fruitful Fusion said...

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Ma sha Allah that's so cute. Your little one's growing up fast.
They certainly do pick up everything!

Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaykum,

Masha'Allah tabarak Allah! Keep up the good work insha'Allah!!

I was curious about you as you left a comment on my blog, so insha'Allah when I have some time I will come back and read your blog!!

Jazakom Allah khair

Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum sister
learning starts before birth , when my baby's are in my tummy i recite quran to them and play it on the CD player aswell as get other siblings to read to the bump!!! In late pregnacy of course......in my opinion never too early , well done mashaAllah.

Umm Ibrahim said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Thanks for your comments ladies. :)

Rainbow... you're quite right! It's amazing how the baby in the womb can respond to sounds outside of the womb subhan Allah. I also played Qur'an when I was pregnant with each of my children... I also noticed the baby responding when I would recite Qur'an!

Adventurous Ammena said...

masha'allah.. will have to remember all this, although im sure you will all remind me :P alhamdulillah for sisterhood eh?

The Muslim Wife's Kitchen said...

Salaam Sis, this is JundAllah from MMC!

I can't agree with you enough, and masha'allah Sis Rainbow made a great point....start as soon as possible! Unfortunately, if it's not the 'good' stuff the kids are soaking up, then they will inevitably pick up the evil and incorrect influences around them. Especially for the families in nonMuslim countries, we gotta stress Islamic character as early as possible in our children. May Allah protect their deen and keep them on the haqq, ameen!